Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordinating Board - GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
The GATE Exam committee, which comprises of representatives from the administering institutes, is the sole authority for regulating the examination and declaring the results. GATE is conducted through the constitution of eight zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are:
- Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Many students may not be aware that there are several institutions in this country, offering pecialized postgraduate programmes in various disciplines. Attractive scholarship / Assistantship for postgraduate courses in engineering / Technology / Architecture /Pharmacy at Engineering colleges / institutes in the country ,are available to those who qualify through GATE Exam.