+ 91-9810461555 (Admissions department)

All Courses

Alternatives to GATE

Alternatives to GATE Exam

1. IIITs: These institutes are deemed universities and conduct their own test for M.Tech admission test.

2. Central Universities: These universities are supported by central government and have great infrastructure and good faculty.

3. Deemed Universities: In recent years many good deemed universities have come with great infrastructure and industry interface.

4. State Universities: Few good universities in different states conduct their own test and follow admission procedure. Check the list here.

5. M.Tech part time and from Open University: This is a last option for me but it solely depends on your situation and job requirement. Read this for more information on M.Tech correspondence.

6. TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test): This exam is conducted by Anna University for admission to M.Tech and other PG courses in its affiliated colleges. We will update you with TANCET 2010 once official notice is published by Anna University.

7. Post Graduate Common Entrance Test (PGCET) Karnataka: This exam is conducted by Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU) for admission to M.Tech and other PG courses in its affiliated colleges.

8. Post-Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test (PGECET): PGECET is conducted by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University on behalf of APSHCE (Andhra Pradesh state higher education council) for admission into M.E. / M,Tech./M.Pharm./M.Arch / M.Plg. (full time) in University and affiliated Engineering colleges in A.P.

9. Postgraduate admissions with MHRD scholarship: As per the directives of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, the following procedure is to be adopted for admission to postgraduate programmes (Master and Doctoral) with MHRD scholarship/assistantship. The GATE performance of the candidate will be considered for admission. If the candidate is to be selected through interview for post graduate programmes, minimum 70% weightage is to be given to the GATE performance. The remaining weightage (30% maximum) can be given to the candidate’s academic record/performance in interview. Candidate opting for a general paper (XE or XL) may be further examined (by interview/written test) by the admitting institution. In such cases also the weightage for GATE performance should not be less than 70%. The admitting institution will prescribe minimum passing percentage of marks in the interview. Some colleges/institutes specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship/assistantship.

Candidates are advised to seek details of admission procedures and availability of MHRD Scholarship / assistantship from the concerned admitting institution. The criteria for post graduate admission with scholarship/assistantship are different for different admitting institutions. GATE offices will not entertain any enquiry about admission and award of scholarship/assistantship.

It is the responsibility of the admitting institution to award the MHRD scholarship/assistantship to only those candidates who secured GATE score equal to or more than the “qualifying GATE score” in the concerned GATE paper and for the corresponding candidate category. The management of the postgraduate scholarship/assistantship is also the responsibility of the admitting institution. The GATE committee also has no role in the award or disbursement of scholarship/assistantship. Similarly, reservation of seats under different categories is as per the policies and norms prevailing at the admitting institution and Government of India rules.

A candidate declared “GATE qualified at the time of admission” is entitled for MHRD fellowship for 24 months unless he/she loses it due to poor performance in the registered programme.

The students of Integrated Master Degree and Dual Degree programmes in Engineering/Technology are eligible to appear in GATE 2010 in order to qualify for the postgraduate scholarships in their own institutions only. They are not eligible for admission to a fresh M.E. / M.Tech programmes.


Back to Top